Learning how to flat twist your own natural hair can be a challenge to say the least, but don’t be discouraged I brought out all the heavy artillery to get you set on this journey of endless style possibility. Before I jump into how to flat twist your natural hair I really want to stress this is a time to learn. Allow yourself time to fail, do not attempt to learn and create a style. I suggest practicing on hair that is dirty, possible right before shampoo day. Keep it easy on yourself and remove and stress that comes with trying to get an amazing outcome, practice makes perfect!
If you are a visual learner check out this VERY detailed video on how to flat twist your natural hair. I show multiple angles and give slow precise directions.
If you prefer still images, I have provided those for you as well. Check it out!
How to Flat Twist Natural Hair:
- Determine if you want your twist to go straight back, to the side or towards the front. Position your hands accordingly.
- Part your hair into an easy workable section. Parting for this tutorial doesn’t mean the straightest lines in the world!!! Cut yourself some slack we are learning. 🙂
- Start with two even sized sections at the start of the twist, you will want the density of each section to be as even as possible.
- Twist one section behind the other section.
- With your pointer finger, slide it into the hair that is loose and parted out a section of hair. Add it to the section of hair you just twisted
- Repeat until you get to the end of your parted section. Remember to always add the hair to the twist you just twisted. End each flat twist with a two strand twist.
See, I told you I was bring out the heavy artillery. Between the images and video you should be able to find the best way to learn how to flat twist your natural hair. Practice makes perfect, before you know it you will be the flat twist queen! Styling options will open vastly and you will not have to rock the same styles constantly. Natural hair doesn’t have to be boring!!! Push yourself to explore style options, learning this won’t be easy but it will be worth it!
Let me know down below, was this helpful? If you found this article helpful, share it!!! Lets help the next natural expand her style options! I would like to invite you to sign up for my newsletter, this way you will always be in the know with all things MA!
Latest posts by Maria Antoinette (see all)
- 10 Romantic Date Night Ideas For Any Time of The Year - January 26, 2023
- Tips To Help You Reconnect With What Brings You Joy - January 19, 2023
- Planning A Road Trip? Here Are Some Key Tips You Should Know - January 12, 2023
Great info on flat twisting. I have done my own way but my hair is longer now and I am frustrated. This helped me to calm down. I’ll have to do a puff tomorrow. Thanks
Awww this is great news I am glad this post was helpful!!! I have a ton of helpful tips for healthy hair on my site!!!
I have not done a flat twist in a year. I had forgotten how to do it and watched several videos to help me remember. I was not successful. This video and the still photos show me exactly what to do. I will be bookmarking this page on my computer.
Yay!!! I am so elated this post and video was helpful!!! Please share with your friend and family they might need a refresher too!!! ☺️
Thank you, Thank you. I’ve had difficulty in the past with flat twists and so gave up completely on them. Yours is the first tutorial that has been clear and thorough, I appreciate the fact that you’ve shown how to work them in different directions. Pinning to my Natural Hair Styles Pinterest board.
Thank you for the raving review!!! I am so glad this was helpful for you!
Very helpful, thank you.
This is the video I used to learn how to flat twist 2 years ago when I did my big chop! Great tutorial. Thank you
Awww this is awesome!!! You’re welcome and thank you for letting me know this video was helpful!